As expected a majority of readers think we should name the new Mississippi River Bridge after baseball legend Stan Musial, but he barely got more than 50% of the vote:
Q: Name New Bridge After Dred & Harriet Scott, Stan Musial or…?
- Stan Musial 100 [53.19%]
- Dred & Harriet Scott 30 [15.96%]
- Don’t name it after a person(s) 22 [11.7%]
- Other: 13 [6.91%]
- Sell the corporate naming rights 12 [6.38%]
- Unsure/no opinion 7 [3.72%]
- Wait until the bridge opens to decide 4 [2.13%]
Hardly a consensus. The other answers were:
- Mullanphy Bridge
- Mounds Heritage. The footprint of the bridge on both sides are mound sites
- geographic name
- President Barack H. Obama
- General Pershing
- Andy Gammon, worker who died on the bridge (His family is hoping for this.)
- “Taxpayers” – we’re paying for it!
- The Gateway Bridge
- Bob Cassilly Bridge. Love Stan, but too much emphasis on sports in stl.
- Nikola Tesla
- Dred Scott seems appropriate since the bridge links two areas mostly AA occupied
Will be interesting to see what formal name is given to the bridge and what we end up calling it over the years.
– Steve Patterson